Experience OWCtoberfest's monstrously amazing deals!Unearth the savings »
Created on: February 5, 2014
Last updated: June 29, 2016
Any USB 3.0 Qx2 (JMicron chipset) purchased prior to 2/7/14 will need a firmware update installed to enable independent drive mode. To install this firmware update, please download the attached file and follow the included instructions. USB 3.0 Qx2’s purchased after 2/7/14 already support this mode.
-Compatible with any Intel Mac running OS X 10.6.8 or later.
-Requires Qx2 to be connected via USB 3.0/2.0.
-Qx2 must be powered on and have drives installed in it during the update process.
Important Note: Please unplug any other USB external devices before running this update. Failure to do so will result in the update failing to install properly. Although the firmware update is not designed to erase the drive, OWC recommends you back up all data and close all open applications prior to running the firmware update.
1) Double-click the
Qx2_Independent_Mode_Support.zip file to uncompress the zipped file.
2) Double-click the
JMicron JMS567 Firmware Update Utility.dmg file to mount the DMG file on your desktop.
3) Right-click the JMicron JMS567 Firmware Update Utility universal package file and select Open to start the installation process. Please note that if you double-click instead of right-click, you will be prompted that the software is from an unidentified developer and the installation process will not continue. To bypass this, you will either need to right-click and select ‘Open’ as mentioned above or adjust your security preferences to allow unidentified applications to open. If you did adjust your security preferences for this install, please ensure that you re-adjust your preferences to their original settings after you have installed the product to best protect your computer.
4) Press Continue to proceed with the installation. Press Install to proceed with installing the firmware update application onto your computer. After selecting ‘Install’ you will be prompted with a message warning you that your computer will restart after the installation process. Click “Continue Installation” to proceed. After the software installs, click ‘Restart’.
5) After your machine restarts, go to your Applications folder and double-click the application called
JMicron JMS567 Firmware Update Utility.
6) The application will open and automatically detect your Qx2. Click the Continue button to proceed with the firmware update.
7) When the update is complete, you will receive a message that says "Update Successful." Once your device has been updated, please unmount the volume from the desktop and turn off your Qx2 to finish the update process. Once the Qx2 is turned back on, the firmware update process is complete.