Mac / PC / Linux / Thunderbolt 2 / USB 3.0
Professional Desktop Storage
design by neil poulton
Proven Design, Redefined.
With the new d2, LaCie again raised the bar on the industry's most trusted desktop storage product. Get the job done faster – on any computer – with dual Thunderbolt 2, USB 3.0, and a 7200 RPM hard disk. Thanks to its innovative, all-aluminum unibody design, you'll notice incredibly low vibration and operating noise. With best-in-class speed, versatility, and durability, the new LaCie d2 sets a new standard for desktop storage.
Versatility for Professional Environments
The new LaCie d2 combines Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0 interfaces to deliver the best possible speeds when connected to any late-model PC or Mac computer. Dual Thunderbolt 2 ports let you daisy chain up to six devices to a single Thunderbolt port on a computer.
This means that you could connect up to five LaCie d2 plus a 4K display to an iMac computer's Thunderbolt 2 port, bringing remarkable scalability and convenience to 4K or other workflows. And since USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 2 are backward compatible**, you always get the absolute fastest speeds your computer allows.
No-Compromise Speed for Leaner Workflows
- Professional speeds of up to 220 MB/s*
- USB 3.0 and dual Thunderbolt 2 ports for universal compatibility
- Aluminum unibody for reduced noise
- LaCie 3 Year Limited Warranty
Professional components yield professional speeds. The new LaCie d2 combines best-in-class interfaces with a 7200 RPM hard disk, resulting in stunning speeds of up to 220 MB/s. With this speed, it's possible to store and browse a massive RAW Adobe Lightroom library with zero lag. High speeds plus industry-best capacity makes the LaCie d2 the perfect solution for storing large files and archiving projects.
Innovative Design, Breakthrough Durability
When recreating the industrial design of the d2, LaCie focused relentlessly on reliability and usability for professionals.
- Unibody Enclosure — The casing is forged from a single sheet of aluminum, providing uncommon rigidity for long-term durability and premium quality.
- Power–Saving Mode — For Thunderbolt connections, save energy by pressing the power button to spin down disks without interrupting daisy chain transfers. For USB connections, disk spins down automatically when the host operating system goes to sleep.
- Fan–Free Cooling — The seamless, all-aluminum unibody enclosure draws heat away from the hard disk. The integrated base extends the enclosure's surface area, providing even more space for heat dissipation. The results are a long lifespan for components and ultra-quiet operation.
- Integrated Cable Management — Prevent accidentally disconnected interface or power cables without compromising the look and design of the product.
- Anti–Vibration Features — A cushioning base and vibration-absorbing hard disk mounts combine to dramatically reduce vibration.
Packed with Value for Pros
The LaCie d2 includes everything professionals need for secure backup: a backup software suite, and compatibility with Time Machine and Windows Backup. It also includes LaCie Private-Public software, which lets you password-protect volumes with AES 256-bit encryption.
For the ultimate in peace of mind and value, the LaCie d2 features a three-year limited warranty that includes comprehensive, complimentary web-based resources, expert in-house technical support, and worldwide repair and/or replacement coverage. You can even upgrade this service with warranty extensions, fast product replacement, and data recovery services.
* These transfer rates were achieved using AJA System Test when connected to a Mac computer via the Thunderbolt 2 interface. Actual data rates may vary depending on operating environment and other factors, such as chosen interface and disk capacity.
** To achieve full interface bandwidth, connect the product to either a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt 2 port on a computer or device.
LaCie Part Number
- 3TB 7200 RPM/64 MB cache (or greater) hard disk
- (2) Thunderbolt 2: 20 Gb/s
- (1) USB 3.0: 5 Gb/s
- 3 TB: Up to 180 MB/s reads
Thunderbolt 2 Technology
- Bidirectional 20 Gb/s permits a high-resolution display and RAW 4K video playback
- Reduce power consumption by spinning down disks without disrupting daisy chain transfers (short press on front button initiates power-saving mode; long press turns product off completely)
- AES 256-bit software encryption
- Kensington lock compatible
- Cable management
- Fan-free design with all-aluminum unibody enclosure for low vibration and near-silent operation
- Typical noise level: 28 dB^
Dimensions (l x w x h)
- 2.4" x 8.5" x 5.1" (6.0 x 21.7 x 13.0 cm)
***1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending upon operating environment (typically 5-10% less). The actual total capacity will depend on your own defined file settings/preferences.
Manufacturer provided specifications for Lacie p/n 9000492U UPC#: 093053012557
- LaCie d2
- Thunderbolt cable
- USB 3.0 cable (USB 2.0 compatible)
- External power supply
- Quick Install Guide
Private-Public is the easiest way to protect your important and confidential files using state-of-the-art encryption technology.
Intego® Backup Assistant (Mac)
Intego Backup Assistant offers an ideal solution for the home user who is looking for a simple, user-friendly way to back up personal data to a safe location and be able to retrieve it easily.
LaCie Genie® Timeline (Windows)
With Genie Timeline, all you'll need to do is select what to backup, where to back up, and you're done! Genie Timeline will automatically keep a timeline of your files so you can easily go back in time to restore any file or folder at any point of time.