Configuration flexibility is yours when you replace your MacBook or MacBook Pro's internal SuperDrive with the OWC Data Doubler. This custom engineered blue anodized aluminum bracket with attached PCB circuit board comes ready to mount the included drive.
Then, just install the entire assembly into a MacBook or MacBook Pro 5.25" optical drive bay. OWC Data Doubler makes it easy to custom design how you want your internal storage to perform. Installed drives are recognized like any other high speed SATA storage device and can be setup and partitioned using the Apple Disk Utility Program.
Just a few of the configuration options you can enjoy with Data Doubler:
- Creating an individual volume with its
own desktop icon.
- Combining a new drive with the existing internal drive for one larger volume (SPAN).
- Combining a new matching drive with existing internal for high-performance RAID-0 Stripe volume.
- Configuring a new drive as a Time Machine®
- Formatting one drive for the Mac OS and the other dedicated for Windows.
Spin-down hard drives sooner to save battery power. Running an extra hard drive in your laptop can drain battery power faster than a single drive. But you can tell your Mac to put hard drives to sleep sooner than normal to save power.
This is an advanced tip that requires working in Terminal. For the step-by-step explanation, visit our blog