OWC's SSD vs HDD Shootout!
Seeing is believing! Watch a side-by-side shootout between an
SSD and HDD in a PowerMac G4 (FireWire800) loading
Adobe's Creative Suite on startup.
Watch the SSD vs HDD shootout!
Why OWC SSD?
- Designed & built in the US from domestic & imported parts.
- Chip Based Data Encryption: 128-bit AES-compliant.
- Intelligent "recycling" for advanced free space management.
- Best in class error correction (ECC) and SandForce RAISE (Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements) technology provides RAID-like data protection and reliability without loss of transfer speed due to parity.
- SandForce Processor with 7% over-provisioning maximizes read and write performance to greatly extend the endurance and overall reliability of the drive.
- Up to 100X greater data protection than what the highest rated enterprise class conventional hard disk drive (HDD) provides.
- SandForce DuraClass technology with Ultra-efficient Block Management & Wear Leveling offers highest endurance, performance and power efficiency in a SSD.
Over Provisioning & Wear Management Explained
Some of the drive space in OWC SSDs are allocated for RAISE - which provides real time data redundancy, ECC Error Correction, and reserve cell space.
Example: An OWC Pro SSD that's 240GB in size with 7% over-provisioning is actually a 256GB drive with 7% allocated for data management, and to maintain the drive's high-performance level.
Unlike most SSDs on the market today, the Mercury Pro family uses advanced DuraWrite wear-leveling and block management technologies to keep Read/Write performance at peak while others see performance fall.
Base Data Findings © Copyright 2010 DIGLLOYD INC (MacPerformanceGuide.com).
Awards & Reviews
Product names, logos, brands, and other trademarks featured or referred to within the macsales.com website are the property of their respective trademark holders. These trademark holders are not affiliated with Other World Computing, Inc., our products, or our website.
- SandForce 2181 Series Processor with 7% Over Provisioning
- Asynchronous Tier 1 NAND Flash Storage
- Standard 9.5mm 2.5"
- SATA 3Gb/s
- up to 32 commands
- Height (max) 7mm (0.276")
- Width (max) 70.06mm (2.758")
- Length (max) 100.12mm (3.941")
- Weight 77g (0.170 lbs.)
- ECC Recovery: Up to 55 bytes correctable per 512-byte sector
- Chip Based Data Encryption: 128-bit AES-compliant
- OS Dependent
- Sustained Reads (up to) 285MB/s
- Sustained Writes (up to) 275MB/s
- Read Incompressible Data Rate (up to) 208MB/s
- Write Incompressible Data Rate (up to) 235MB/s
- Random 4K Read Up to 60,000
- IOPS Random 4K Write Up to 60,000
- IOPS Read Latency less than 0.1ms
- Write Latency less than 0.1ms
- Read Latency less than 0.1ms
- Temperature (°F) 32°F to 158°F
- Temperature (°C) 0°C to 70°C
- Temperature (°F) -67°F to 302°F
- Temperature (°C) -55°C to 150°C
- Idle (Typical) 0.0 bels
- Seek (Typical) 0.0 bels