OWC's SSD vs HDD Shootout!
Seeing is believing! Watch a side-by-side shootout between an
SSD and HDD in a PowerBook G4 loading Adobe's Creative
Suite on startup.
Watch the SSD vs HDD shootout!
Why OWC SSD?
- Designed & built in the US from domestic & imported parts.
- Chip Based Data Encryption: 128-bit AES-compliant.
- Intelligent "recycling" for advanced free space management.
- Best in class error correction (ECC) and SandForce RAISE™ (Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements) technology provides RAID-like data protection and reliability without loss of transfer speed due to parity.
- SandForce® Processor with 7% over-provisioning maximizes read and write performance to greatly extend the endurance and overall reliability of the drive.
- Up to 100X greater data protection than what the highest rated enterprise class conventional hard disk drive (HDD) provides.
- SandForce DuraClass™ technology with Ultra-efficient Block Management & Wear Leveling offers highest endurance, performance and power efficiency in a SSD.
Over Provisioning & Wear Management Explained
Some of the drive space in OWC SSDs are allocated for RAISE - which provides real time data redundancy, ECC Error Correction, and reserve cell space.
Example: An OWC Pro SSD that's 240GB in size with 7% over-provisioning is actually a 256GB drive with 7% allocated for data management, and to maintain the drive's high-performance level.
Unlike most SSDs on the market today, the Mercury Pro family uses advanced DuraWrite™ wear-leveling and block management technologies to keep Read/Write performance at peak while others see performance fall.
Base Data Findings © Copyright 2010 DIGLLOYD INC (MacPerformanceGuide.com).
- SandForce SF2181 Series Processor with full 7% Over Provisioning firmware set
- Qualified for single drive and multiple drive usage.
- Sustained Sequential Read: up to 285MB/s
- Sustained Sequential Write: up to 275MB/s
- Random 4KB: Up to 50,000 IOPS
- Tier 1 Multi-Level Cell (MLC) NAND Flash Memory
- less than 0.1ms
- less than 0.1ms
- 2,000,000 Mean Time To Failure (MTTF)
(based on SandForce processor operation)
- Native Command Queuing up to 32 commands
- SMART Command Transport
- Advanced TRIM Support in Windows 7
- 0ºC to +70ºC
- -55ºC to +150ºC
- Active: 2200mW (2.2W) Typical, up to 2500mW (2.5W)
- Inactive (DIPM): 90mW (.09W) Typical
- ECC Recovery: Up to 24 bytes correctable per 512-byte sector
- Unrecoverable Read Errors: Less than 1 sector per 1016 bits read
- Chip Based Data Encryption: 128-bit AES-compliant
- 2.5" Industry Standard Hard Drive
- 80 grams +/- 2 grams
- 100.12mm x 70.06mm x 9.45mm
- Designed and built in the U.S. from domestic and imported parts