480GB NVMe SSD Add-In Solution for HDD-only Mac mini (Late 2014)
Complete add-in kit with installation tools and components
Space to play. Speeds to run.
Get Back in the Game
After years of good, hard work, storage on your Mac is getting tight and load times and data transfers lag. You've invested years of gear, programs and customizations and it's not the time to switch. Upgrade with OWC Aura® N to make your Mac fast and more spacious than ever – for a fraction of the cost of a new model – and keep everything else just the way you like it.
Stretch Out and Run
Aura N expands your Mac with up to 1TB of storage space, so you can add to your media, games, and apps without picking favorites. It's advanced NVMe technology revives read speeds up to 1600MB/s write speeds up to 1100MB/s, giving your Mac the power to run like new again.
Sprints and Marathons
Aura N combines speed and stamina to prepare your Mac for the short race and the long haul. Engineered with advanced SLC caching, this SSD provides incredible burst performance for a faster and more responsive experience. Plus, the extra storage and speed can increase the working life of your Mac by years.
- Extra space: add 240GB capacity
- Read speeds up to 798MB/s
- Write speeds up to 768MB/s
- Consumes less power and runs cooler
- Designed for macOS 10.13 and beyond
- NVMe – PCIe 3.1 x2
- 3 Year OWC Limited Warranty
Save up to $175 with the OWC Flash-Up Rebate Program!
Right-Sized for Work and Play
The smaller stock SSDs for Mac can fill up quickly, especially with photo and video files, games, or even your email. Aura N SSDs are available in capacities up to 1TB, giving you more space to work and play. Newly calibrated to use less power and run cooler, Aura N is the best way to upgrade your PCIe equipped Mac.
No Hassles or Hacks Compatibility
Aura N SSD upgrades are precisely engineered for your Mac, so you'll never need to compromise your data by relying on complicated software hacks or TRIM-enablers to get the most from your upgrade. Just install, migrate your data, and enjoy the great performance of flash storage with up to 8 times the capacity of the original drive.
7% Over Provisioning
OWC SSDs perform maintenance tasks in the background that optimize the health, performance, and endurance of your drive. These jobs take advantage of available, unwritten areas on the SSD. Aura N storage reserves 7% of the overall capacity as free space. Always. With this allocated free space, Aura N SSDs can perform these normal maintenance tasks making your drive more stable, dependable, and ultimately a safer place to store your data.
Quality That Lasts
Aura N SSDs are proudly designed in Austin and are backed by a lifetime of free, award-winning USA-based support.
- (1) Aura N SSD
- (1) Torx T8 Driver
- (1) Torx T6S Driver
- (1) Nylon Pry Tool (Spudger)
- (3) Installation Components
- (1) Installation Guide for Mac mini (2014)
- 3 Year OWC Limited Warranty
Total Storage Capacity
- (1) 480GB OWC Aura™ N Solid State Drive
- *1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending upon operating environment (typically 5-10% less). The actual total capacity will depend on your own defined file settings/preferences.
- **OWC reserves the right to replace or upgrade to equivalent or better components.
- 448GB Useable Capacity
- Total Flash Memory Components: 480GB
- 32GB Allocated to real-time data redundancy and error correction
- Phison E8 with 7% over-provisioning
NAND Flash Components
- Synchronous Triple-Level Cell (TLC) 3D NAND Flash
Native Command Queuing (NCQ)
- Up to 32 simultaneous commands
Random 4K Read
Random 4K Write
Sequential Read (Max)
Sequential Write (Max)
Average Access Time
MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures)
- 150TB total bytes written (TBW), equal to 83 GB per day for 5 years
Mac OS Compatibility
- macOS 10.15 Catalina
- macOS 10.14 Mojave
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- macOS 10.12 Sierra
- Must upgrade to macOS 10.13 or later, prior to installation
Read Mode (Max)
Write Mode (Max)
Seek Mode (Max)
Idle Mode (Max)
- Height: 0.2 cm (0.1 in)
- Length: 8.9 cm (3.5 in)
- Width: 2.4 cm (0.9 in)
- Operating: 32°F to 158°F (0°C to 70°C)
- Non-Operating: -40°F to 185°F (-40°C to 85°C)
- Operating: -304.8 m to 3,048.0 m (-1,000 ft to 10,000 ft)
- Non-Operating: -304.8 m to 12,192.0 m (-1,000 ft to 40,000 ft)
- Operating: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Non-Operating: 1500 G max at 0.5 ms
- Installing an Aura N SSD in a Mac mini (Late 2014) Macmini7,1 that came with a factory-installed SSD or Fusion drive does not require the additional hardware included in this kit. See Aura N SSD Upgrades for Mac mini (Late 2014 - Current) for additional installation options.
- The Aura N is a PCIe 3.1 x2 NVMe SSD capable of performing up to 1600MB/s. Performance can vary depending on many factors, including the Mac model and its drive bus specifications. Please check the compatibility section and the detailed specs for your Mac model’s drive bus specifications.
- Sequential read/write (max) performance numbers are based on testing with AJA System Test (4K-Full resolution, 64GB file size, 16bit RGBA codec, single file and file per frame tests) on a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro11,4).
- Not compatible with Apple Boot Camp on MacBookPro11,1 or MacBookAir6,1 or MacBookAir6,2
- When upgrading from an AHCI SSD used in some older Mac models (2013-2014), you may observe a slight increase in boot times. Read this Knowledge Base article to learn more.
- Some customers have reported an issue related to Apple NVMe resources that occurs when attempting to wake some Mac models from "Standby Mode" (a lesser known macOS "Sleep" behavior). If you experience this issue, please see this Knowledge Base article for more details.
Manufacturer provided specifications for OWC p/n OWCS3DAB2MM05K
Installing an Aura N SSD in a Mac mini (Late 2014) Macmini7,1 that came with a factory-installed SSD or Fusion drive does not require the additional hardware included in this kit. See Aura N SSD Upgrades for Mac mini (Late 2014 - Current)
for additional installation options.
Mac mini (Late 2014)
Model ID: Macmini7,1
1.4GHz, 2.6GHz, 2.8GHz, 3.0GHz
"I went and checked how much disk space I now have. Just look at all of that free space!"
— Rich Lefko, MyMac.com
"Overall though, this is the best and most seamless way to add storage to a newer Mac. When it comes to raw capacity, the OWC Aura SSD is the best you could hope for."
— Ifti Bashir, Ifti's Tech Corner
"The Only DIY Guide to Upgrading your Macbook Pro You'll Ever Need"
— Rustam Singh, Entrepreneur
"Once you are done doing the installation, your MacBook Air now has a top-of-the-line SSD drive with oodles of free space so fears of not having enough room are gone."
— Marshal Rosenthal, Examiner.com
"With the new 1TB Aura SSD, I've got plenty of breathing room for years to come."
— Lucas Mearian, Computerworld
"Particularly for capacity-challenged laptops hamstrung at 128GB or 256GB, the upgrade to 480GB or 960GB provides an attractive option for extending the lifespan of the laptop ... "
— Lloyd Chambers, Dig Lloyd
"You can breath new life in your MacBook Air with a faster, higher capacity flash storage module."
— Rob-ART Morgan, BareFeats
"It's a replacement SSD for your MacBook Airs and Pros that can dramatically increase your capacity without hurting your speed, and it's a relatively painless upgrade."
— Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica
"Ultimately, OWC has opened the market to countless very frustrated Apple customers with a high performing SSD at a decent price and one that has a decent warranty."
— Les Tokar, The SSD Review
"... I wanted to upgrade the hard drive and this is another area where OWC is second to none. The whole Aura SSD installation took me exactly 6 minutes."
— Gregg Ellman, Idaho Statesman
"MacBook Pro and MacBook Air owners with qualifying machines can come out of the storage dark ages with OWC's new Aura PCIe flash storage upgrade."
— Jeff Benjamin, 9to5Mac
"With the help of OWC, 20 minutes and one download was all it took to finally add additional storage to my 13" Mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro."
— Terrance Gaines, BrothaTech