ThunderBay 4 RAID
72.0TB 4-Drive Enterprise HDD Storage Solution with Dual Thunderbolt 2 Ports
Mac / PC / Thunderbolt 2 / DisplayPort 1.2 / RAID 5
Performance + Redundancy
- Fits both 2.5" and 3.5" drives
- User configurable in RAID 0, 1, 4, 5 & 1+0
- Up to 651MB/s read / 446MB/s write RAID 5 performance 1
- Exponentially faster rebuild times than hardware RAID
Experience the first and only software RAID 5 technology developed for the Mac with the SoftRAID XT. Empower your workflow with up to 35% faster RAID 5 performance and exponentially faster rebuild times than comparable hardware based RAID arrays.
Activate advanced features, such as drive monitoring, e-mail notifications, and more when you install the included SoftRAID XT for macOS.
Conventional wisdom turned on its head.
Hardware RAID has long been thought to be superior to software RAID, but we've now combined the massive performance and capacity of ThunderBay 4 with a robust, proven software RAID engine to provide breathtaking performance, flexibility, and reliability.
Software RAID + ThunderBay = WHOA!
Over a year ago, OWC partnered with SoftRAID to bring enhanced storage capabilities to the Mac, and we're now seeing that dream become a reality. SoftRAID XT combines advanced RAID modes, fast performance, monitoring, e-mail notification, and fast rebuild capabilities that only software RAID can deliver.
- OWC award-winning U.S. based support for both the ThunderBay 4 drive and SoftRAID software is included with your purchase.
- 48 Hour Warranty Service
- 1 Year Level 1 Data Recovery Service
Monitoring + Notifications
SoftRAID XT lets you easily setup drive monitoring and e-mail notifications to keep you informed about your ThunderBay's performance and drive health. Helping you to maintain mission critical workflows.
Better than Hardware RAID Performance
ThunderBay 4 and the SoftRAID engine offers faster performance than many competing 4 or even 5-bay hardware RAID external drives – benefiting from modern processors that are both fast and designed for exceptionally high-performance RAID management with no real-world impact on apps or tasks.
Flexible + Robust
SoftRAID XT is extremely flexible and can easily be updated, reconfigured and used across multiple enclosures to provide an amazing amount of robust options to empower you to make the most of your ThunderBay workflow.
Backed by OWC
Should you ever have a question or troubleshooting need, you can rely on OWC's award-winning U.S. based support for both the ThunderBay 4 drive and SoftRAID XT software.
Empower your workflow with RAID 5 performance and up to 40TB capacity.
Edit, view, stream, and produce more with ThunderBay in your 2K, 4K, and audio production workflow.
The RAID 5 Advantage
RAID 5 merges the four drives inside ThunderBay together for exponential performance gains over a single drive, the combined capacity of three of the drives, and data redundancy that allows the array to still work even if one drive were to fail!
Edit, Experiment, Create, Design
With ThunderBay's performance capabilities you can complete projects faster, have more time to experiment, and push your creations to the next level.
Enhance editing capabilities in video apps like Apple Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, and Avid Media Composer. Empower greater audio production capabilities in audio apps like Avid Pro Tools and Logic Pro X. Edit large photos in apps like Adobe Photoshop, and browse large photo libraries in apps like Apple Aperture and Adobe Lightroom. Simply put, you can do more with a ThunderBay 4 enhanced workflow, and with a RAID 5 array you get data redundancy on top of great performance!
Certified and Tested
Each ThunderBay undergoes OWC's multi-hour drive "burn-in" performance certification procedure prior to shipping. This ensures your ThunderBay arrives operating properly and ready for demanding use.
4 drive bays plus so much more.
Built on OWC's time-tested enclosure cooling technology, ThunderBay utilizes an open "flow-thru" vented design with an oversized 92 mm, low-turbulence, noise-quieting fan to keep the drives running cool and reliably.
Daisy-chain up to six ThunderBays for massive storage capabilities and increased performance, or connect multiple ThunderBays to multiple Thunderbolt 2 ports to achieve exponential speed capabilities.
ThunderBay's drive isolating design reduces sonic resonance, and is aided by over-sized, rugged, vibration-absorbing, non-skid feet.
DisplayPort 1.2 Support
Dual Thunderbolt ports let you connect the display of your choice that your computer can support, including 4K displays.
OWC Thunderbolt Cable
ThunderBay comes with an OWC one-meter certified Thunderbolt cable, with other lengths from 0.5 meter to 30 meters available separately.
1. Read and write speeds of sequential, incompressible data.
Total Storage Capacity
Total Solution Cache Size
- (4) Western Digital 18.0TB Ultrastar® DC HC550 7,200RPM Hard Disk Drives with 512 MB cache
- *1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending upon operating environment (typically 5-10% less). The actual total capacity will depend on your own defined file settings/preferences.
- **OWC reserves the right to replace or upgrade to equivalent or better components.
- Mini DisplayPort 1.2: Up to 4K @ 60Hz
- DisplayPort 1.2: Up to 4K @ 60Hz
Supports up to one 4K display @ 60Hz, or one 4K display @ 30Hz
- Independent volumes bootable in macOS
Hot Plug Support
- Thunderbolt 2: Intel Falcon Ridge
- SATA Controller (2): ASMedia ASM-1062
Data Transfer Rate (Maximum)
- Thunderbolt 2 : 20 Gb/s (or 2500 MB/s)
- Thunderbolt : 10 Gb/s (or (1250 MB/s)
Plug and Play
Default Raid Level
RAID Levels Supported
- RAID 0
- RAID 1
- RAID 4
- RAID 5
- RAID 10
MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures)
Contact Start Stops
Mac OS Compatibility
- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
- Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan
- macOS 10.12 Sierra
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- macOS 10.14 Mojave
- macOS 10.15 Catalina
- macOS 11.0 Big Sur
PC OS Compatibility
- Windows 7 32-bit Edition
- Windows 7 64-bit Edition
- Windows 8 32-bit Edition
- Windows 8 64-bit Edition
- Windows 8.1 32-bit Edition
- Windows 8.1 64-bit Edition
- Windows 10 32-bit Edition
- Windows 10 64-bit Edition
- Boot Camp is not supported. The Thunderbolt certification process does not include Macs running Windows through Boot Camp.
- PCs running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later with a Thunderbolt port. Driver required for proper installation.
Host Port Requirements
- Designed for hosts with a Thunderbolt 2 port. Will work with Thunderbolt hosts at slower speeds.
- Internal UL-listed universal auto-switching power supply
- 90-264V, 47-63Hz, 1.8-3.5A
External Power Adapter
Number of Bays
- Height: 17.7 cm (7.0 in)
- Length: 24.5 cm (9.6 in)
- Width: 13.5 cm (5.3 in)
- Operating: 41°F to 107.6°F (5°C to 42°C)
- Non-Operating: -40°F to 149°F (-40°C to 65°C)
- Operating: -304.8 m to 3,048.0 m (-1,000 ft to 10,000 ft)
- Non-Operating: -304.8 m to 12,192.0 m (-1,000 ft to 40,000 ft)
- Operating: 8% to 90% non-condensing
- Non-Operating: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Operating: 65 G max at 2 ms
- Non-Operating: 175 G max at 2 ms
SoftRAID 5 for ThunderBay
OWC has partnered with SoftRAID to bring software RAID 5 to the Mac. SoftRAID combines advanced RAID modes,
fast performance, monitoring, e-mail notification, and fast rebuild capabilities that only software RAID can
deliver. ThunderBay 4 models with drives come preconfigured in RAID 5, and are plug and play ready with OS X 10.9 or later.
Advanced features such as drive notification and monitoring require SoftRAID installation.
" ... great for performance and space. My internal Mac Pro 2013's 512 GB drive has been feeling tight for the past year, and a faster external drive has been something that I have been searching for."
— Paul Solt, iPhoneDev.tv
"OWC unlocks the incredible performance and flexibility of ThunderBay by pairing the drives with a robust software RAID solution."
— Tom Piper, appleJAC
"I turned to my friends at OWC, for solutions ... to efficiently and securely backup, transport, and archive all the data ... ( the ThunderBay 4 RAID) is a lot of storage packed into an eight and a half pound box with dimensions of less than 10"x7"x6"."
— James Mathers, Digital Cinema Society
" ... one of the more affordable four-bay Thunderbolt drives out there. ...performance over a Thunderbolt 2 connection is fantastic."
— Eric Reagan, Photography Bay
"Does great with lots of footage, handles 4K footage with ease ... copying over data is lightning fast, and its's whisper silent ... a terrific Thunderbolt solution"
— Shane Ross, Little Frog in High Def
"The performance is outstanding ... speeds are exceptional ... the Thunderbay itself is an efficient unit that does not get in the way of performance."
— Lloyd Chambers, DigLloyd - Mac Performance Guide
"... an amazing product that can meet the needs of the professional who needs high-performance storage, as well as anyone who is looking for a versatile method of storage and backup."
— Tom Nelson, About.com
"OWC's ThunderBay 4 brings to the market capacities that have yet to be seen in such a compact medium, as well as the performance and data security that only RAID 5 can provide!"
— Les Tokar, The SSD Review
"I remember when I spent $20,000 to buy 20 GB of storage. Now, we can get far more storage, with far better performance, for about $100 per terabyte ... I like what I see ... Congratulations, OWC."
— Larry Jordan, Larry Jordan.Biz
"It's affordable, fast, reliable, and gives any modern Mac access to fast, huge storage ... recommended for video editors"
— Iain Anderson, macProVideo
"Now we can do RAID5 via software and save substantially."
— Allan Tepper, Pro Video Coalition
"The ThunderBay 4 RAID storage isn't just fast, it's superior in performance to everything else in its class."
— Dan East, Layers