Linking past, present and future technology
The Thunderbolt™ dock links past, present and future technology to your computer with just one Thunderbolt™ cable. The Thunder2 Dock allows you to access your data on both legacy and future storage drives by providing multiple host ports for USB 3.0, eSATA and FireWire 800. It also has two Thunderbolt 2 ports for daisy chaining additional Thunderbolt devices and storage.
USB 3.0 supporting UASP
The two USB 3.0 ports both support UASP (USB attached SCSI protocol) for increased performance over USB 3.0 but the same ports can of course also be used to connect the older USB 2.0 storage drives. Note: The maximum transfer rate for the USB interface is about 370MB/s.
FireWire with bus-power (7W)
Long a favorite of Mac users but now replaced by Thunderbolt™ and USB 3.0, the FireWire interface can still be used through the AKiTiO Thunder Dock. Simply hook up your legacy FireWire drives (bus-powered and self-powered) to the dock and you can access all your existing data without having to buy new hard drive enclosures.
eSATA storage (6Gbps)
Not as common as the other interfaces but PC users will be happy to know that there are also two eSATA ports available to hook up external eSATA drives.
Thunderbolt™ is a revolutionary connection technology that simultaneously supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices through a single, compact port. Thunderbolt™ technology gives you two channels on the same connector with 10 Gbps of throughput in both directions. The extremely fast and flexible Thunderbolt 2 connection now pushes that to 20 Gbps but the two generations of Thunderbolt technology are compatible with each other. In comparison, it is up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0 and up to 12 times faster than FireWire 800.
- Two Thunderbolt 2 ports for lightning fast speeds up to 20Gb/s
- Daisy chain up to 6 Thunderbolt devices
- Two eSATA host ports (up to 6Gb/s)
- One 7 watt bus-powered FireWire 800 host port
- Two bus-powered USB 3.0 host ports (supports UASP)
- Durable and rugged aluminum casing
- Supports 4K monitors and displays
One Thunderbolt™ cable to connect them all. Simply connect the dock to your computer with just one cable and get instant access to all the additional storage drives that are hooked up to the dock. The lighting fast Thunderbolt interface guarantees that you can achieve the best possible data transfer rates.
Storage & 4K Display
The second Thunderbolt port allows you to connect up to 5 additional Thunderbolt devices (storage or display) in a daisy chain. Thunderbolt 2 also has more than enough bandwidth to daisy chain multiple high-speed devices and it gives you access to the latest 4K monitors.
Independent eSATA controllers
Two independent eSATA controllers guarantee that the performance doesn't drop, even when a second eSATA storage device is connected at the same time. Note: The maximum transfer rate for each eSATA port is about 370MB/s.
Recharge mobile phones & tablets
The USB ports can be used to recharge your electronic devices (e.g. iPad or iPhone) over USB on Mac OS X 10.9.2 or above. Providing up to 2.1A, the AKiTiO Thunder Dock can even recharge your larger devices such as the iPad. It also provides power for the Apple Keyboard and the Apple SuperDrive for computers that do not have a built-in SuperDrive.
AKiTiO Part Number
Mac OS Compatibility
- macOS 10.14 Mojave
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- macOS 10.12 Sierra
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan
- OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- (2) Thunderbolt 2 Ports
- (2) USB 3.0 Ports
- (2) eSATA 6 GB/s Ports
- (1) FireWire 800 Port
- Height: 0.7" (18 mm)
- Length: 6.3" (159 mm)
- Width: 3.8" (98 mm)
Manufacturer provided specifications for AKiTiO p/n T2D-THSB3IAS-AKTU UPC#: 888038000502
- The two generations of Thunderbolt technology are compatible with each other. The ports and cables are identical.
- The device has to be connected to the computer via Thunderbolt interface.
- This docking station does not have any internal storage. All data is stored on external drives that are connected to the dock.
- In order to recharge an iOS device over USB (e.g. iPhone, iPad or iPad mini), the Thunderbolt cable has to be connected to the computer and the system has to be running (S0 or S3). The OS has to be updated to Mac OS 10.9.2 or above and a driver has to be installed.
- The maximum transfer rate for each eSATA port and for the USB interface is about 370MB/s.
- This Thunderbolt product is not compatible with Apple's Boot Camp.
- Thunderbolt cable not included with all models or in all regions.
- To connect this device to a Thunderbolt 3 computer, a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter like the AKiTiO T3T is required.
- This product has components or design elements that are patented or patent pending.