Thunder3 RAID Station
12.0TB Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station
Thunderbolt 3 / SATA 6.0GB/s / USB 3.1 / GbE / DisplayPort
All-In-One Thunderbolt™ 3 Dock with RAID Storage
Expand the capabilities of your laptop and declutter your workspace with the Thunder3 RAID Station. This solution combines four essential functions every laptop user needs into one product, giving you additional storage space, providing you with important interfaces such as Gigabit Ethernet, USB and DisplayPort, recharging your battery and reading your SD cards. All this is built into a single product that connects to your laptop with a single Thunderbolt 3 cable.
Thunderbolt 3 brings Thunderbolt to USB-C at speeds up to 40 Gbps, creating one compact port that does it all - delivering the fastest, most versatile connection to any dock, display, or data device. For the first time, one computer port connects to Thunderbolt devices, every display, and billions of USB devices. A single cable now provides four times the data and twice the video bandwidth of any other cable, while also supplying power to bus-powered devices.
The second Thunderbolt 3 port on the Thunder3 RAID Station operates the same as a Thunderbolt 3 computer port by supporting Thunderbolt 3 (up to 5 daisy chained), USB 3.1 (10 Gbps), and DisplayPort devices.
USB 3.1 Gen 1 Host Ports
The two USB 3.1 Gen 1 host ports make it easy to connect your USB devices that come with a Type-A connector to your laptop. Instead of buying an adapter or new cables, simply plug your existing USB devices into the Thunder3 RAID Station and you are all set.
Gigabit Ethernet Port
The Gigabit Ethernet interface is ideal for notebooks that require reliable, accelerated access to external storage and networks for I/O demanding applications but typically lack 1GbE connectivity or the capability to deploy an internal PCIe network card (NIC).
The dedicated DisplayPort connector makes it easy to connect an additional monitor to extend your workspace. This video output capability requires a Thunderbolt 3 connection to the computer and will free up the second Thunderbolt 3 port for Thunderbolt 3 (up to 5 daisy chained), USB 3.1 (10 Gbps), and DisplayPort devices.
SD Card Reader
A card reader for your SD cards exactly where you need it. Plug in your card and backup your media files straight to the external drive.
- Thunderbolt 3 for lightning fast transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps
- Second Thunderbolt 3 port supports Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps), USB 3.1 (10 Gbps), and DisplayPort devices
- Power delivery provides up to 27W of power to recharge compatible laptops
- Two USB 3.1 Gen 1 host ports with Type-A connectors for older USB devices
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet port supporting auto-negotiation for 1G, 100M, 10M
- Hardware RAID controller (RAID 0, RAID 1, SPAN, Non-RAID)
- Tool-less drive installation for 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch drives
- Cooling fan with power switch for noiseless operation
- Dedicated DisplayPort for additional 4K monitor
- Built-in SD card reader
- Includes Thunderbolt 3 cable
- 3 Year OWC Limited Warranty
Optimized for every environment
With the built-in hardware RAID controller, the choice is all yours! You can mirror the drives with RAID 1 as a reliable backup for your important data, you can stripe the drives with RAID 0 for optimal performance and maximum speed or you can select SPAN to combine the drives for extra large storage capacities.
OS independent RAID set
A big advantage of the built-in hardware RAID controller is that the RAID set is OS independent, so the storage drive can be moved from one system to the other with ease. Because the RAID set is managed inside the Thunder3 RAID Station, there is nothing else do be set up on the computer.
2-Lane PCIe to SATA controller
The PCIe to SATA controller makes use of two PCIe lanes. When using Non-RAID, this makes it possible for a single SSD to run at full SATA 6Gb/s speeds and deliver transfer rates in read over 500MB/s.
Power Delivery (27W)
The Thunder3 RAID Station supports power delivery (PD), providing 27W of power to laptops that support charging from a 9V/3A power source (e.g. Late 2016 MacBook Pro). This allows you to recharge the battery even when the laptop is not plugged into any other power source.
Tool-less drive installation
For added convenience and flexibility, the Thunder3 RAID Station can accommodate both 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch SATA drives. The assembly is completely tool-less, so drives can be easily installed or uninstalled no matter where you are.
The Thunder3 RAID Station lets you know what's going on at any time. The LED lights on the front indicate the power status and the disk activity and the LED lights on the back will show you the network speed and status when an Ethernet cable is connected.
Manufacturer Part Number
*1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending upon operating environment (typically 5-10% less).
The actual total capacity will depend on your own defined file settings/preferences.
**OWC reserves the right to replace or upgrade to equivalent or better components.
Number of Bays
- (2) 2.5" or 3.5" SATA drives
- High quality aluminum for optimized heat dissipation
- Windows 10 (64-bit) or Windows 7 (64-bit)
- Computer with Thunderbolt 3 port
Mac OS Compatibility
- macOS 10.12.4 and later
- Computer with Thunderbolt 3 port
RAID Modes Supported
- RAID 0 striping
- RAID 1 mirroring
Default Raid Level
- (2) Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Ports
- (2) USB 3.1 Gen 1 SuperSpeed (Type-A) host ports
- (1) RJ45 Ethernet port (supports 10M/100M/1G Base-T)
- (1) SD 4.0 (UHS-II) card reader
- (1) DisplayPort 1.2
- External power supply
- UL, cUL, CE, TUV approved
- Environmental (Operating)
- Temperature (°F) 41° — 95°
- Temperature (°C) 5° — 35°
- Environmental (Non-Operating)
- Temperature (°F) −4° — 140°
- Temperature (°C) −20° — 60°
- Height: 3.35" (85 mm)
- Length: 9.38" (238 mm)
- Width: 5.78" (147 mm)
Manufacturer provided specifications for Other World Computing p/n TB3RSDK12T UPC#: 810586032247
- This product was designed for use with the fan on and passed engineering tests with the fan on. We have added a fan switch that can turn off the fan when a low-noise environment is needed. However, the device should only be used for short periods of time with the fan in the OFF position as prolonged use may cause the device to overheat and this may cause damage to the system, cause issues to data integrity, reduce system reliability and/or shorten the lifespan of the electrical components. For best results, we recommend that the device not be used continuously for more than 30 minutes with the fan in the OFF position.
- This device has to be connected to the computer via Thunderbolt 3 and it cannot be used as a NAS. The Ethernet port provides the computer with an 1GbE network connection over Thunderbolt 3 but it cannot be used to access the data on the drives over the network.
- When using 8TB or 10TB HDDs from Seagate and connecting the device to a PC running Windows, please make sure to first install the Windows driver.
- The DisplayPort does not support DP++. When using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, make sure to use an active adapter.
- Thunder3 RAID Station
- Thunderbolt 3 USB-C cable
- Power adapter
- Setup guide