30-DAY FREE TRIAL
Try SoftRAID XT COMPLETELY FREE for 30 days!
Start protecting yourself and your data today! Get all of SoftRAID's great disk checking and monitoring features, plus the fastest and most efficient software RAID there is.
Download SoftRAID XT Now
RAID Utility Software for OWC Multi-Bay Storage Solutions
macOS / RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, 1+0
Up to 86% faster versus AppleRAID
Five RAID Levels for All Uses
Choose between five RAID levels to suit all kinds of disk usage: RAID 0, 1, 4, 5 and 1+0. Keep your data super safe, access it lighting fast, or choose a combination of speed and safety.
Safeguard Your Data with SoftRAID RAID Volumes1
Standard Hardware RAID products only protect you from losing files when disks fail. SoftRAID does more by constantly checking your disks and warning you in advance — before a disk fails — giving you time to replace bad disks, saving precious files and data.
Not only do you gain peace of mind knowing that you'll be alerted about disk problems, SoftRAID will allow you to carry on with work even if a drive fails.
At any time you can verify your disks to make sure all sectors are readable. SoftRAID's Validate Volumes checks readability and parity and Certify Disk makes sure a disk is readable before you put your work on it (Note: Certifying your disk will destroy any data put on it).
Now Including SMART over USB
SoftRAID tests your SATA disks for SMART failure, and it can use SMART data to predict disk failure for USB and FireWire disks.
SoftRAID Monitor with Notifications
The SoftRAID Monitor is always running even when you're not logged in to your Mac. It watches your disks and volumes for errors and will warn you as soon as a problem occurs. It can even even send you an email.
The SoftRAID Monitor can also predict when a disk is about to fail. Most disks will start having internal errors a week or two before they fail. The SoftRAID Monitor checks for these errors and and warns you if a disk is having problems and likely to fail.
- Up to 86% faster versus AppleRAID
- Create advanced RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, 1+0 volumes for higher performance, greater data reliability, and/or redundancy
- Enterprise-class monitoring for disk and RAID volume health with email notifications
- Volume validation to ensure sectors can be read, parity is correct, and minimization of volume failure
- Disk certification checks that your disks are safe to store data on before use
- Disk failure prediction with early warning helps protect you from sudden disk failure
- Convert existing AppleRAID volumes to SoftRAID RAID volumes and preserve all the files on those volumes
- Support for English, French, German, Spanish & now Japanese and Simplified Chinese
- Continually updated and improved
Worry Free Validation
When you validate a volume, SoftRAID will read every block on the volume to make sure it can be read without errors. If there is an error, the SoftRAID Monitor will warn you and will add an entry to the SoftRAID log file. You can continue to use your volume normally while the SoftRAID driver is validating it.
The driver watches to see if you're using the volume, and if you start reading or writing files on the volume, it stops validating for a second or two then resumes validation where it left off. You can even validate your startup volume without worrying about damaging your data.
Going the Extra Step in Validating SoftRAID Volumes
SoftRAID ensures your volumes are working properly by taking that extra step during the validation process. When SoftRAID validates a mirror or RAID 1+0 volume, it reads from each disk in a mirror set and compares the data. If the data from all the disks in a mirror set do not match, SoftRAID updates the disks so they are all identical.
When validating a RAID 4 or RAID 5 volume, SoftRAID reads the data for each block and calculates the parity information. It then compares the calculated parity information with the parity information stored on the disks. If the parity information on the disks is incorrect, SoftRAID updates the disks with the correct information.
Certify Your Disk To Ensure Reliability
Storage disks are so big these days that manufacturers can't afford the time it takes to test every sector of disk. With SoftRAID's Certify Disk feature, you can perform the test that the factory should have done. When you use SoftRAID to Certify Disk, SoftRAID writes, then reads every sector of the disk (more than once). When it's complete, you are reassured that every sector of the disk is usable (or notified of a problem).
SoftRAID Keeps You Working—Even if a Disk Fails
SoftRAID keeps your data safe with advanced RAID volumes. With a SoftRAID mirror or RAID 1+0 volume, every time you write a file, the write goes to more than one disk at exactly the same time. If one disk fails, you'll have a copy of all the data on your volume.
With RAID 4 or 5 you'll get similar protection as missing data can be rebuilt from parity data that's stored every time you write to disk.
Convert Existing AppleRAID Volumes to SoftRAID Volumes
Now, you can easily convert your existing Apple RAID stripe (RAID 0) and mirror (RAID 1) volumes to SoftRAID volumes and preserve all the files on those volumes. Additionally, you can convert a standard Apple RAID stripe (RAID 0) and mirror (RAID 1) volume to a RAID 1+0, which continues to function after a disk fails.
New Language Support and Error Logging, Including Simplified Chinese
SoftRAID offers localized support for English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese.
- NOTE: While RAID 0 can provide higher performance, it provides no protection against disk failure.
Minimum System Requirements (Mac)
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later
- OWC ThunderBay 8, OWC ThunderBay 6, OWC ThunderBay 4, OWC ThunderBay 4 mini, OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad, OWC ThunderBlade, OWC Express 4M2, or OWC Accelsior 4M2
Manufacturer provided specifications for SoftRAID p/n SOFTRAID5TBY UPC#: 851382006001
- SoftRAID XT will run on any Mac built after 2007 running Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later.
- TRIM support for SSDs requires Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later.
- DVD installation is not required. Download SoftRAID XT here:
Download SoftRAID XT
RAID Levels Supported
- RAID 0 (Stripe)
- Data is split into blocks over two or more drives at same time. The ideal RAID for a scratch disk volume for video production/editing.
- RAID 1 (Mirror)
- The same data is written to two drives for highest level of data safety and redundancy.
- RAID 4 (Stripe with Dedicated Parity)
- With RAID 4, data is striped for speed like a RAID 0, but one of your disks is used as a dedicated parity disk. The parity disk is used to reguild your data if a disk fails. This results in performance nearly as fast as RAID 0, but with the added benefit of protection against disk failure. RAID 4 should be used instead of RAID 5 if you are using SSDs for your volume.
- RAID 5 (Stripe with Distributed Parity)
- Data is Striped (Similar to RAID 0), but unlike RAID 0, each disk also contains parity data, which is used to rebuild your data should a disk fail. RAID 5 has the best combination of speed, safety and disk capacity. The ThunderBay RAID solutions come with pre-tested drives and are configured as RAID 5.
- RAID 10 (1+0)
- RAID 1+0 volumes combine the speed of strips (RAID 0) with the protection provided by mirrors (RAID1). It offers the best combination of speed and safety.