RAID Utility Software
macOS / RAID 0 & 1
Up to 86% faster versus AppleRAID
Safeguard Your Data with SoftRAID RAID Volumes 1
Standard Hardware RAID products only protect you from losing files when disks fail. SoftRAID does more by constantly checking your disks and warning you in advance—before a disk fails—giving you time to replace bad disks, saving precious files and data.
Not only do you gain peace of mind knowing that you'll be alerted about disk problems, SoftRAID will allow you to carry on with work (with all RAID levels over 0) even if a drive fails.
SoftRAID Lite offers 2 RAID levels: RAID 0, 1. RAID 0 does not offer data protection and redundancy, but if you work with large temporary files (such as video scratch data) you'll love the lightening fast disk access. RAID 1 offers data protection and redundancy.
At any time you can verify your disks to make sure all sectors are readable. SoftRAID's Validate Volumes checks readability and parity and Certify Disk makes sure a disk is readable before you put your work on it (Note: Certifying your disk will destroy any data put on it).
- Up to 86% faster versus AppleRAID
- Create advanced RAID 0, 1 volumes for higher performance, greater data reliability, and/or redundancy
- Enterprise-class monitoring for disk and RAID volume health
- Volume validation to ensure sectors can be read, parity is correct, and minimization of volume failure
- Disk certification checks that your disks are safe to store data on before use
- Disk failure prediction with early warning helps protect you from sudden disk failure
- Convert existing AppleRAID volumes to SoftRAID RAID volumes and preserve all the files on those volumes
- Support for English, French, German, Spanish & now Japanese and Simplified Chinese
- Continually updated and improved
Now Including SMART over USB
SoftRAID tests your SATA disks for SMART failure, and it can use SMART data to predict disk failure for USB and FireWire disks.
SoftRAID Monitor with Notifications
The SoftRAID Monitor is always running even when you're not logged in to your Mac. It watches your disks and volumes for errors and will warn you as soon as a problem occurs.
The SoftRAID Monitor can also predict when a disk is about to fail. Most disks will start having internal errors a week or two before they fail. The SoftRAID Monitor checks for these errors and and warns you if a disk is having problems and likely to fail.
Worry Free Validation
When you validate a volume, SoftRAID will read every block on the volume to make sure it can be read without errors. If there is an error, the SoftRAID Monitor will warn you and will add an entry to the SoftRAID log file. You can continue to use your volume normally while the SoftRAID driver is validating it.
The driver watches to see if you're using the volume, and if you start reading or writing files on the volume, it stops validating for a second or two then resumes validation where it left off. You can even validate your startup volume without worrying about damaging your data.
Going the Extra Step in Validating SoftRAID Volumes
SoftRAID ensures your volumes are working properly by taking that extra step during the validation process. When SoftRAID validates a mirror or RAID 1+0 volume, it reads from each disk in a mirror set and compares the data. If the data from all the disks in a mirror set do not match, SoftRAID updates the disks so they are all identical.
When validating a RAID 4 or RAID 5 volume, SoftRAID reads the data for each block and calculates the parity information. It then compares the calculated parity information with the parity information stored on the disks. If the parity information on the disks is incorrect, SoftRAID updates the disks with the correct information.
Certify Your Disk To Ensure Reliability
Storage disks are so big these days that manufacturers can't afford the time it takes to test every sector of disk. With SoftRAID's Certify Disk feature, you can perform the test that the factory should have done. When you use SoftRAID to Certify Disk, SoftRAID writes, then reads every sector of the disk (more than once). When it's complete, you are reassured that every sector of the disk is usable (or notified of a problem).
SoftRAID Keeps You Working—Even if a Disk Fails
SoftRAID keeps your data safe with advanced RAID volumes. With a SoftRAID mirror or RAID 1+0 volume, every time you write a file, the write goes to more than one disk at exactly the same time. If one disk fails, you'll have a copy of all the data on your volume.
With RAID 4 or 5 you'll get similar protection as missing data can be rebuilt from parity data that's stored every time you write to disk.
Convert Existing AppleRAID Volumes to SoftRAID Volumes
Now, you can easily convert your existing Apple RAID stripe (RAID 0) and mirror (RAID 1) volumes to SoftRAID volumes and preserve all the files on those volumes. Additionally, you can convert a standard Apple RAID stripe (RAID 0) and mirror (RAID 1) volume to a RAID 1+0, which continues to function after a disk fails.
New Language Support and Error Logging, Including Simplified Chinese
SoftRAID offers localized support for English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese.
1. Please note that there is no protection against disk failure with RAID 0.
Minimum System Requirements (Mac)
Manufacturer provided specifications for SoftRAID p/n SOFTRAIDLDVD UPC#: 851382006025
- Current version is fully compatible up to macOS 10.14 'Mojave'
- DVD installation is not required. Software can be downloaded at Macsales for registered users or at: http://go.owcdigital.com/softraidxt
- SoftRAID Lite Application
- Quickstart Guide
- Release Notes
RAID Levels Supported
- RAID 0 (Stripe)
- Data is split into blocks over two or more drives at same time for high speed and large capacity. The ideal RAID setting for demanding video production/editing.
- RAID 1 (Mirror)
- The same data is written to two drives for highest level of data safety and redundancy.
- SoftRAID Lite for ThunderBay boosts RAID 1 Volume Performance up to 86% Faster vs. AppleRAID volumes.