OWC miniStack STX
Stackable Storage + Thunderbolt Hub Xpansion Solution
With up to 770MB/s Speed
vs. Factory Options
Mini Sized. Mammoth Possibilities.
Just like great duos Kirk and Spock, Frodo and Sam, or Woody and Buzz, the miniStack and the Mac mini have been the perfect pair since 2005. The miniStack STX now features Storage and Thunderbolt Xpansion, continuing its award-winning legacy as the best sidekick a Mac mini can have. Meet the world’s first Thunderbolt certified Thunderbolt 4 storage solution.
With a universal SATA HDD/SSD bay AND an NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD slot, you can expand your mini’s storage capacity to gigantic proportions. Three Thunderbolt (USB-C) ports enable you to connect to millions of Thunderbolt, USB, and future USB4 drives, displays, A/V mixers, cameras and tablets; as well as desktop accessories like a keyboard, card reader, or mouse. Now the possibilities of how you can use your Mac mini are limited only to your imagination.
Add over 200x greater data storage on top of your Mac mini's built-in storage1
Add a mix of up to five Thunderbolt devices, three USB devices, and two displays2,3
An aluminum housing with internal heat sink and high-efficiency cooling fan provides cool, nearly silent operation
Use with Thunderbolt or USB equipped Macs, PCs, iPads, Chromebooks, Android tablets… virtually anything that supports external storage2
Add RAID 1 protection with optional OWC SoftRAID software
Apple Time Machine and Windows File History ready
Plug and Play
Includes Thunderbolt cable
Xpands Notebooks, Tablets, and More
Sized identically to the Mac mini, the miniStack STX is also a sleek, complementary companion for MacBook and PC notebook and desktop machines, iPads, and Chromebooks. While highly powerful, these machines are often limited in the number and variety of ports they offer. The miniStack STX solves that expansion limitation with a new world of increased connectivity and storage capacity.
The Dual Drive Dynamo
Just like superheroes have an alter ego, so too does the miniStack STX. The universal SATA drive bay holds a hard disk drive or SSD for big capacity data storage performance. When you need to support low latency instant access operations, the NVMe M.2 SSD slot reveals miniStack STX’s ferocious nature. NVMe was designed to deliver the speed potential of modern flash drive technology by using a more direct path to a computer’s processor over PCIe.5 As a result, you can enjoy on-demand high performance with the miniStack STX.
Easily Monitor and Protect Your Data
For even more power and security, add OWC’s SoftRAID software to your miniStack STX and create a RAID 1 to automatically maintain identical copies of all your data on each drive. For over 25 years, SoftRAID has been the most fully featured and powerful software RAID solution available for Mac and Windows. It starts protecting your data even before you start saving by validating the miniStack STX drives are safe for data storage. In the improbable event that you experience a disk issue, your data is still complete and accessible on the miniStack STX’s other drive! SoftRAID then constantly monitors your disks with a combination of S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) attributes along with its own I/O statistics. This deep dive disk health analysis identifies potential problems so you can take preventive action. SoftRAID is available for both Mac and PC making it possible to share the miniStack STX between computers.
Xpand Your Sonic Journey
Building your music setup can be daunting. With two configurable drives in the OWC miniStack STX, it’s easy to create a storage powerhouse for recording and playback of essential tracks in real-time. You can even store your entire loop and sample libraries on the NVMe SSD for in-a-flash use with near zero latency.5
Store from Minutes to Millions
All the features and “technospeak” of an external drive don’t mean a thing if you don’t know how much of a particular file type it can hold. For every 1TB of miniStack STX capacity, you can store up to any of the following:6
of GoPro 4K footage
High Definition Movies
38K / 250K
High / Standard Quality Songs
MS Office Documents
Keeps the Power Flowing
Whether you’re taking a short break or are done for the day, the miniStack STX keeps you powering ahead. No matter if your machine or STX goes into sleep mode, the STX’s Thunderbolt ports continue to power and/or charge connected devices. Your notebook will stay charged and ready too with up to 96 watts of power through its Thunderbolt or USB-C connection.4
OWC Thunderbolt Cable Included
OWC miniStack STX comes with a certified 0.7M OWC Thunderbolt Cable. But if your workflow demands a different length to make the connection, OWC Thunderbolt (USB-C) Cables are the perfect choice.
Professional Grade = Ready to Work
We understand having confidence in gear reliability is paramount to creative professionals. That’s why every miniStack STX goes through a multi-step performance certification prior to shipping. This ensures your miniStack STX arrives operating properly and immediately ready for demanding use.
Stabilize Thunderbolt and USB-C Cables
Active workspaces expose gear to bumps, shoves, or even the random tail wag from a pet. OWC ClingOn custom cable stabilizers (sold separately) screw into the OWC Dock or OWC Drive housing to reduce – if not completely eliminate – cable strain on Thunderbolt and USB-C connections so you can work with confidence even in the highest foot traffic environments.
OWC, Trusted by Pros & Enthusiasts the World Over
We build our hardware to the highest standards of reliability and performance. Because 100% reliability is always the goal, we rigorously quality test and back our hardware with a 3 Year OWC Limited Warranty and award-winning customer support.Learn More
- 28TB miniStack STX provides over 218x greater data storage than a 2018 Mac mini with factory equipped 128GB SSD.
- Works with Thunderbolt (USB-C), Thunderbolt 2/Thunderbolt (mDP), and USB devices. Thunderbolt 2/Thunderbolt device support requires a certified Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 (mDP) Adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable (available separately) and provides data transfer at up to 20Gb/s.
- Actual display support varies by computer specifications. Apple silicon M1 Pro, M1 Max, and M1 Ultra Mac models, Apple Intel-based Mac models, and Thunderbolt 4 PCs can support up to two external displays via Thunderbolt. Apple silicon M1 and M2 Mac models can support one external display via Thunderbolt.
- Works with Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 3, USB4, and USB host computers and devices. Thunderbolt 2/Thunderbolt Mac models are not supported.
- With a USB host connection, bandwidth is reduced to USB speeds, and additional functionality will vary depending upon the host computer and USB port. Thunderbolt devices are not supported.
- With a USB-C host connection, displays and power delivery will depend upon the host computer’s support for those functions.
- With a USB-A host connection, a USB-C to USB-A adapter cable (available separately) is required, and displays and power delivery are not supported.
- A USB host connection is required for Mac systems running macOS 10.14 or 10.15.
- NVMe SSD usage requires a Thunderbolt (USB-C) host connection with a compatible system running macOS 11.x or later. USB host connectivity provides SATA drive use only, and limits additional miniStack STX ports to USB connectivity only.
- Storage examples for illustrative purposes only. Individual results may be different based on variety of factors including specific file size and format, settings, features, software and other factors. Storage estimates based on the following:
- 12-megapixel camera with 4MB image sizes
- 4-minute average 4MB MP3 songs
- 4-minute average uncompressed Apple Lossless (ALAC) songs
- 1080p HD videos with 5GB average file size
- GoPro 4K footage at 60FPS 24GB/hr
- 250KB average MS Office document file size
- 3 Year OWC Limited Warranty for Hard Drive and Solid-State Drive solutions. 1 Year OWC Limited Warranty for Enclosure only.