Aura Pro X2
480GB NVMe SSD Add-In Solution for HDD-only Mac mini (Late 2014)
Complete add-in kit with installation tools and components
Your Mac. More Space. Twice as Fast.
Keep On Innovating
Tight deadlines, long nights, and terabytes of media – your Mac has been with you through it all. If storage is tight, there's no reason to ditch the Mac you know and love. The Aura® Pro X2 SSD gives you up to 16 times more space and the speed to keep up with your imagination today and tomorrow. Upgrade your Mac with Aura Pro X2 SSD for a fraction of the cost of a new model and keep your Mac running for years.
Blazing Fast and Super Cool
Aura Pro X2 combines speed, stamina, and efficiency that will change the way you experience your Mac. With read speeds reaching 808MB/s and write speeds of 773MB/s, the 480GB Aura Pro X2 is up to twice as fast as the original SSDs, delivering performance on par with the latest models. It runs cooler and consumes less power than earlier SSD models, so you can run at peak for longer than ever.
Maintain Your Edge
When it's go time, getting off the line and maintaining a high level of performance are equally important. Aura Pro X2 is engineered with advanced SLC caching, providing instant full-speed write acceleration, meaning those media projects and games stream fluidly and respond without lag time. You might even forget what that beachball looks like.
Aura Pro X2 is designed for the latest macOS versions (macOS High Sierra 10.13 and later), taking full advantage of the advanced features of APFS including: strong encryption, copy-on-write metadata, space sharing, cloning for files and directories, snapshots, fast directory sizing, atomic safe-save primitives, and improved file system fundamentals.
- High performance for high demands
- Read speeds up to 808MB/s
- Write speeds up to 773MB/s
- Consumes less power and runs cooler
- Designed for macOS 10.13 and beyond
- NVMe – PCIe 3.1 x4
- 5 Year OWC Limited Warranty
Save up to $175 with the OWC Flash-Up Rebate Program!
Right-Sized for Work and Play
The smaller stock SSDs for Mac can fill up quickly, especially with photo and video files, games, or even your email. Aura Pro X2 SSDs are available in capacities up to 2TB, giving you more space to work and play. Newly calibrated to use less power and run cooler, Aura Pro X2 is the best way to upgrade your PCIe equipped Mac.
No Hassles or Hacks Compatibility
Aura Pro X2 PCIe-based flash storage upgrades are precisely engineered for your Mac, so you'll never need to compromise your data by relying on complicated software hacks or TRIM-enablers to get the most from your upgrade. Just install, migrate your data, and enjoy the great performance of flash storage with up to 16 times the capacity of the factory-installed drive.
7% Over Provisioning
OWC SSDs perform maintenance tasks in the background that optimize the health, performance, and endurance of your flash drive. These jobs take advantage of available, unwritten areas on the SSD. Aura Pro X2 PCIe-based flash storage reserves 7% of the overall capacity as free space. Always. With this allocated free space, Aura SSDs can perform these normal maintenance tasks making your drive more stable, dependable, and ultimately a safer place to store your data.
Quality That Lasts
Aura Pro X2 SSDs are proudly designed in Austin and are backed by a lifetime of free, award-winning USA-based support.
Total Storage Capacity
- (1) OWC 480GB Aura™ Pro X2 Solid-state Drive
- *1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending upon operating environment (typically 5-10% less). The actual total capacity will depend on your own defined file settings/preferences.
- **OWC reserves the right to replace or upgrade to equivalent or better components.
- 480GB Useable Capacity
- Total Flash Memory Components: 512GB
- 32GB Allocated to real-time data redundancy and error correction
- Silicon Motion SM2262EN Series Processor with 7% over-provisioning
NAND Flash Components
- Synchronous Triple-Level Cell (TLC) 3D NAND Flash
Native Command Queuing (NCQ)
- Up to 32 simultaneous commands
Sequential Read (Max)
Sequential Write (Max)
Average Access Time
MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures)
- 225TB total bytes written (TBW), equal to 89 GB per day for 7 years
Mac OS Compatibility
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- macOS 10.14 Mojave
- macOS 10.15 Catalina
- The host computer must be updated to macOS 10.13 or later before installing this drive.
Read Mode (Max)
Write Mode (Max)
Seek Mode (Max)
Idle Mode (Max)
- Height: 0.3 cm (0.1 in)
- Length: 8.9 cm (3.5 in)
- Width: 2.2 cm (0.9 in)
- Operating: 32°F to 158°F (0°C to 70°C)
- Non-Operating: -40°F to 185°F (-40°C to 85°C)
- Operating: -304.8 m to 3,048.0 m (-1,000 ft to 10,000 ft)
- Non-Operating: -304.8 m to 12,192.0 m (-1,000 ft to 40,000 ft)
- Operating: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Non-Operating: 1500 G max at 0.5 ms
- Some customers have reported an issue related to Apple NVMe resources that occurs when attempting to wake some Mac models from "Standby Mode" (a lesser known macOS "Sleep" behavior). If you experience this issue, please see this article for more details.
- Note: Installing an Aura Pro X2 SSD in a HDD-only Mac mini (Late 2014) that came with a factory-installed SSD or Fusion drive does not require the additional hardware included in this kit. See Aura Pro X2 SSD Upgrade Kits for Mac mini (Late 2014 - Current) for additional installation options.
- The Aura Pro X2 is a high performance PCIe 3.1 x4 NVMe SSD capable of performing in excess of 3000MB/s in Macs with PCIe3.0 x4 SSD slot. Performance can vary depending on many factors, including the Mac model and its drive bus specifications. Please check the compatibility section and the detailed specs for your Mac model’s drive bus specifications.
- Sequential read/write (max) performance numbers are based on testing with AJA System Test (4K-Full resolution, 64GB file size, 16bit RGBA codec) on a 2014 Mac mini (Macmini7,1).
- When upgrading from an AHCI SSD used in some older Mac models (2013-2014), you may observe a slight increase in boot times. Read the Knowledge Base article to learn more.
Manufacturer provided specifications for OWC p/n OWCS3DAPT4MM05K
Installing an Aura Pro X2 SSD in a Mac mini (Late 2014) that came with a factory-installed SSD or Fusion drive does not require the additional hardware included in this kit. See Aura Pro X2 SSD Upgrade Kits for Mac mini (Late 2014 - Current)
for additional installation options.
Mac mini (Late 2014)
Model ID: Macmini7,1
1.4GHz, 2.6GHz, 2.8GHz, 3.0GHz
- (1) Aura N SSD
- (1) Torx T8 Driver
- (1) Torx T6S Driver
- (1) Nylon Pry Tool (Spudger)
- (3) Installation Components
- (1) Installation Guide for Mac mini (2014)
- 5 Year OWC Limited Warranty