Created on: October 20, 2015
Last updated: April 19, 2022
To set up an ethernet connection through the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock, please follow the instructions below. NOTE: these instructions do not cover the setup or troubleshooting for network connections, only the steps for allowing your dock's ethernet port to be recognized in the OS X Network preferences.
1) Connect the Thunderbolt 2 Dock to the Mac.
2) Connect the ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the dock.
3) Go to the Apple menu, and choose System Preferences.
4) Click the Network option.
5) Select "Edit Locations…" from the Locations menu.
6) Add a new Location and give it a name, then click Done.
7) Click the Apply button at the lower right edge of the Network preference pane.
8) At this point all available network interfaces that exist on your Mac are visible, including the ethernet port of the Thunderbolt 2 Dock, which is labeled "Thunderbolt Ethernet Slot", along with a number.
9) You may need to wait up to 20 seconds before the red indicator to the left of "Thunderbolt Ethernet Slot 1, Port 2" changes to green.
If you are still having trouble after attempting these steps, please contact our Technical Support team.