Newer Technology, Inc announced today its MAXPower RAID mini-SAS controller card line. Available in a choice of two external ports or one internal/one external port configurations, the MAXPower RAID mini-SAS cards provide full data transfer of four drives through a single cable connection for up to twice the data transfer speed offered by the SATA 2.0 (3Gb/s) data bus. Both versions of the MAXPower RAID mini-SAS controller card are available now form Other World Computing.
mini-SAS: More Lanes = Faster Speed
Just like a four-lane highway offers the fastest vehicle traffic flow, mini-SAS offers more “lanes” for data to travel at higher speeds. This interface offers the convenience of a one-cable connection but provides four separate channels so each drive can deliver its maximum data transfer rate. Now, with a MAXPower RAID mini-SAS controller card, one or more mini-SAS equipped external storage enclosures like the OWC Mercury Rack Pro can be utilized for greater speed, protection, or both; compared to single-channel, multi-drive eSATA RAID or eSATA Port Multiplier solutions.
Two Models Available
The MAXPower RAID mini-SAS 6G-2e card features two external mini-SAS ports that enable connecting and RAIDing multi-drive mini-SAS external enclosures or up to eight eSATA external enclosures via mini-SAS to eSATA breakout cables. For Mac and PC users who want to connect and RAID both external enclosures as well as internal drives, the MAXPower RAID mini-SAS 6G-1e1i card features one external mini-SAS port and one internal mini-SAS port
RAID Manager for Easy Array Management
The MAXPower RAID mini-SAS controller cards come complete with an easy-to-use, web browser-based utility that automatically logs all events that occur–from minor issues like inconsistent data to major issues like a failed drive. The built-in scheduling system offers quick convenience in setting up RAID arrays, managing connected drives, viewing storage health status and reviewing information about connected storage.
Key Features & Specifications
- High-speed PCIe 2.0 x8 bandwidth for up to 4GB/s data throughput (PCIe 1.0-compatible with reduced speed)
- Two mini-SAS ports:
- 1 x SFF-8088 external and 1 x SFF-8087 internal mini-SAS port (6G-1e1i model)
- 2 x SFF-8088 external mini-SAS ports (6G-2e model)
- SAS Expander support for connecting up to 128 SAS/SATA devices
- Multiple RAID level support: 0/1/5/10/50 and JBOD
- Hot plug and hot swap drive and solution support
- Automatic device pass-through to OS
- Easy-to-use browser-based NewerTech RAID Manager interface
- Storage Health Inspector (SHI) for monitoring and setting up reports, even via email, of array drives
- Compatible with SAS- and SATA-based hard drives and SSDs
“The MAXPower RAID mini-SAS controller cards offer the ultimate blend of performance and value in a PCIe mini-SAS RAID card,” said Grant Dahlke, Brand Manager, Newer Technology Inc. “Now Mac and PC owners can experience data transfer rate performance rivaling that of PCIe mini-SAS RAID cards that cost hundreds more.”