Newer Technology, Inc. announced today its miniStack external storage solution is now available with an OWC Mercury Solid State Drive in four capacities from 120GB to 960GB priced starting from $199.99. Specifically designed to match the appearance and size of Mac mini models from 2010 to the new 2012 machine introduced this week by Apple, the miniStack ‘stacks’ on top of the mini to conserve precious desktop workspace. With the new SSD-based models, the miniStack can be used as a boot drive for faster OS loads as well as for dramatically faster processing with intensive graphics and A/V applications.
Proven SSD Performance Made Convenient
With hundreds of thousands of units in the field, the OWC Mercury SSD brand is the time-proven choice for highest reliability, quality, and performance. The 2.5″ Mercury SSD comes installed in miniStack via a NewerTech AdaptaDrive and is ready to run and deliver SSD performance advantages straight from the packaging. Now, mini owners seeking to eliminate the performance ‘bottleneck’ of their internal drive don’t have to spend valuable time swapping out the factory drive. With miniStack, SSD performance offering data rates up to 300MB/s is Plug and Play easy while the mini’s internal drive remains useful for media/archive storage and/or backups with Time Machine.
Stackable Design Complements Macs, PCs, Networks, Entertainment Systems
While it features the same 1.4″ H x 7.7″ W x 7.7″ D dimensions and aluminum finish of the Mac mini, the miniStack is also an ideal space-saving, high-performance external drive for additional uses. Its multi-interface flexibility (FireWire 800/400, USB 3.0/2.0, and eSATA) enables use among multiple Macintosh computers and laptops and virtually any Windows or Linux-based computer with a USB or FireWire port. miniStack can also be added to an Airport Extreme wireless network via USB to wirelessly share files, perform Time Machine backups, and share other devices like printers. Plus, miniStack is A/V rated for high-performance home entertainment systems and sharing content with Apple TV.
Maximum Features in a Mini Footprint
- Ideal for storing or backing up large music, photo, and video libraries: up to 4 million JPEG photos, 1.4 million MP3 songs, or 2000 hours of video footage with data transfer rates up to 300MB/s
- Choice of 120, 240, 480, or 960GB OWC Mercury Solid State Drive or 7200RPM hard drive up to 4.0TB storage capacity and up to 64MB of data cache
- FireWire 800, FireWire 400, USB 3.0, and/or eSATA bootable
- Durable aluminum body is designed to match the finish of the Mac line
- MagLev fan (same as used in the Mac mini) offers frictionless, whisper-quiet operation
- Integrated Kensington Security Slot for theft prevention
- Identical footprint to 2010 and later Mac mini (1.4″ x 7.7″ x 7.7″)
- USB 3.0 and FireWire 800 connection cables included
- Preconfigured solutions include $100 retail value disk utility software bundle
- Up to three-year solution warranty