OWC Envoy Pro Elektron
1.1 System Requirements
- Mac: macOS 10.12 or later
- PC: Windows 10 or later
- Other: iPadOS 13 or later, Chrome OS, Android 10 or later, Linux
- A Mac, PC, phone, or tablet with either:
- Thunderbolt 3 or later port
- USB Type-C port
- USB Type-A port (supported via included adapter)
1.2 Package Contents
- (1) OWC Envoy Pro Elektron
- (1) USB Type-C 10Gb/s cable with USB Type-A adapter
- (1) Getting Started QR insert card
1.3 About This Manual
The images and descriptions may vary slightly between this manual and the unit shipped. Functions and features may change depending on the firmware version. The latest product details and warranty information can be found on the product web page. OWC’s Limited Warranty is not transferable and subject to limitations.
General Use Precautions
- Read this user guide carefully and follow all recommended usage steps and precautions.
- To avoid damage, do not expose the device to temperatures outside the following ranges:
- Environmental (Operating)
- Temperature (ºF): 41º — 95º
- Temperature (ºC): 5º — 35º
- Environmental (Non-Operating)
- Temperature (ºF): -4º — 140º
- Temperature (ºC): -20º — 60º
- Environmental (Operating)
- Always unplug the device from the electrical outlet if there is a risk of lightning or if it will be unused for an extended period of time. Otherwise, there is an increased risk of electrical shock, short-circuiting or fire.
- Do not use the device near other electrical appliances such as televisions, radios or speakers. Doing so may cause interference which will adversely affect the operation of the other products.
- Protect your device from excessive exposure to dust during use or storage. Dust can build up inside the device, increasing the risk of damage or malfunction.
- Do not block any ventilation openings on the device. These help to keep the device cool during operation. Blocking the ventilation openings may cause damage to the device and cause an increased risk of short circuiting or fire.
- Read this user guide carefully and follow the recommended steps for assembly.
- Use proper anti-static precautions while installing drives into this enclosure. Failure to do so can cause damage to your drive mechanisms and/or the enclosure.
- Do not attempt to disassemble or modify the device. To avoid any risk of electrical shock, fire, short-circuiting or dangerous emissions, never insert any metallic object into the device. If it appears to be malfunctioning, please contact technical support.
- Never expose your device to rain, or use it near water or in damp or wet conditions. Never place objects containing liquids on the drive, as they may spill into its openings. Doing so increases the risk of electrical shock, short-circuiting, fire or personal injury.
1.4 Front View
1. LED Indicator – This LED emits a solid blue light when powered on, flashes blue with data access (read or write activity), and pulses blue when in sleep mode.
1.5 Rear View
2. USB 3.2 Gen 2 port – attach the included cable here using the Type-C connector.
2.1 Device Setup
1. Connect the included USB Type-C cable into the OWC Envoy Pro Elektron and into a system. The Power LED will illuminate a solid blue.
2. The OWC Envoy Pro Elektron comes formatted as APFS for Mac systems. This allows for a seamless plug-and-play experience between Mac and iPad systems. Connect the OWC Envoy Pro Elektron to a Mac or iPad and immediately begin using the drive.
NOTE: Windows, ChromeOS, and Android users will need to reformat the Mac formatted OWC device over that operating system to begin use. Please consult the support article "OWC Drive Setup Over Non-Apple Platforms" for instructions regarding reformatting the OWC Envoy Pro Elektron to work with Windows, ChromeOS, or Android operating systems.
NOTE: Please consult the Support Manual for OWC Drive Guide or Drive Guide Support Guide page for additional information regarding OWC Drive Guide.
3.1 OWC Innergize Software
A software application included with OWC Atlas media cards that currently provides three basic functionalities to the user: Health, Sanitize and Field Firmware Upgradability.
- The Health function allows the user to know how much life is left on their OWC Atlas media card
- Sanitize removes ghost data on OWC Atlas media cards which will allow the media cards to perform at their peak and out of factory condition performance in matter of seconds
- Field Firmware upgradability allows OWC to deliver live updates to our memory cards without the hassle of sending them in for an update.
Installing OWC Innergize
- Download OWC Innergize application based on the system:
- Open the downloaded Innergize.dmg file to begin and complete the installation process.
- For additional information regarding OWC Innergize please consult the support manual "OWC Innergize User Guide"
Required Firmware Update
OWC Innergize requires a firmware update to work properly with select OWC Memory Card Readers, Docks, and Storage Solutions.
- Ensure the OWC Envoy Pro Elektron is connected to a compatible system with the included data cable.
- In a Windows environment, download the OWC Innergize Firmware Update for the OWC Envoy Pro Elektron.
NOTE: Mac users will require additional steps to complete the installation of the firmware. The firmware update is completed through the Windows operating system, therefore a Windows operating system emulator “Parallels” will need to be downloaded.
- In a Windows environment, access the system Downloads folder and open the downloaded Compressed Folder. The compressed folder will open showing a firmware updater folder, and PDF/Word instructions for completing the firmware update process. Before accessing the firmware updater folder, open the instructions and proceed through the provided steps.
- For additional information regarding the OWC Innergize firmware update please consult the support article based on the system:
3.2 Unmounting Options
To ensure no data is lost during normal use, always eject or unmount the OWC Envoy Pro Elektron from your operating system before disconnecting the device. Unmounting options are provided below.
OWC Dock Ejector
This application safely ejects all drives connected to a Mac system with a single click. To install this application, please follow the steps below:
- Download the installer file for Mac: go.owc.com/dockejector
- Launch the installer and follow the prompts. No restart is required.
- Once the app is running an icon like the one shown below will appear in the macOS menubar. Clicking on the icon will provide options to unmount the OWC ThunderBay Flex 8.
- Full user manual can be viewed by visiting go.owc.com/dockejector/manual
Manually Unmounting Drives
- Drag the icon for the disk you wish to unmount to the trash can; OR
- Right-click the disk icon on the desktop, then click “Eject”; OR
- Highlight the disk on your Desktop and press Command-E.
- Go to the System Tray (located in the lower right corner of your screen). Click on the “Eject” icon (a small green arrow over a hardware image).
- A message will appear, detailing the devices that the “Eject” icon controls, i.e., “Safely remove...” Click on this prompt.
- You will then see a message that says, “Safe to Remove Hardware.” It is now safe to disconnect the Mercury Elite Pro Dock from the computer.
- The steps above are applicable to Windows 10 build 1803 and earlier. If you are using Windows 10 build 1809 (October 2018) or later, you can eject the drive by clicking the ‘Show hidden items’ menu in the Taskbar, then clicking ‘Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media’, and last select the ‘Eject’ option for this volume.
3.3 Usage Notes
- The drive case may be warm to the touch with prolonged use. This is an expected behavior.
- Water resistant for up to 30 minutes at < 1 meter
Begin troubleshooting by verifying that the USB-C cable is properly plugged into the computer and the Envoy Pro Elektron. If the device is still not working properly, try connecting the cable to a different USB or Thunderbolt 3 port, and also using a different cable if necessary. If problems persist, please contact our support team.
- Begin by verifying that the USB cable is connected to the OWC Envoy Pro Elektron and to a system. Next, verify that each end of the USB cable is properly plugged into the computer. If issues persists, try connecting a different USB cable and see if the OWC Envoy Pro Elektron works properly. Connecting to a different system is also an option to verify the issue.
- If issues continue to occur, please know that OWC support is here to help. Contacting support information can be found in Section 4.4. Please have your serial number ready which is located on the bottom of the OWC Envoy Pro Elektron and printed on the original packaging.
4.2 Online Resources
- OWC Envoy Pro Elektron Product Page: go.owc.com/envoyproelektron
- OWC Envoy Pro Elektron Support Guide Page: start.owc.com/envoyproelektron
- Dock Ejector: go.owc.com/dockejector
- Dock Ejector Manual: go.owc.com/dockejector/manual
- Drive Guide Manual: go.owc.com/driveguide/manual
- Drive Formatting: go.owc.com/storage/formatting
- Data Migration: go.owc.com/datamigration
4.3 About Data Backup
To ensure that your files are protected and to prevent data loss, we strongly suggest that you keep two copies of your data: one copy on your OWC Envoy Pro Elektron and a second copy on your internal drive or another storage medium, such as an optical backup, or on a second external storage unit. Any data loss or corruption while using the Envoy Pro Elektron is the sole responsibility of the user, and under no circumstances may OWC, its parent, partners, affiliates, officers, employees, or agents be held liable for loss of the use of data including compensation of any kind or recovery of the data.
4.4 Contacting Support
Terms & Conditions of Sale
The material in this document is for information purposes only and subject to change without notice. While reasonable efforts have been made in the preparation of this document to assure its accuracy, OWC, its parent, partners, affiliates, officers, employees, and agents assume no liability resulting from errors or omissions in this document, or from the use of the information contained herein. OWC reserves the right to make changes or revisions in the product design or the product manual without reservation and without obligation to notify any person of such revisions and changes.
Warning! Modifications not authorized by the manufacturer may void the user’s authority to operate this device.
NOTE: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference with radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment to an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
Copyrights And Trademarks
No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written consent of OWC.
© 2023 Other World Computing, Inc. All rights reserved. OWC, OWC Envoy, and the OWC logo are trademarks of New Concepts Development Corporation, registered in the U.S. and/or other countries. Mac and macOS are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Thunderbolt and the Thunderbolt logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other marks may be the trademark or registered trademark property of their owners.
Free 24/7 Support Chat
Our award-winning support team is ready to answer all of your questions. Talk with a human today...