Other World Computing announced today that the OWC Hard Drive DIY Kit for iMac now enables iMac owners to replace the factory-installed hard drive with a new hard drive up to 8TB, all while maintaining proper system fan control and native compatibility with Apple Diagnostics.
- Eliminates excessive fan noise and maintains correct system fan control when upgrading the storage of a 2009 or newer iMac
- Engineered to work natively with Apple Diagnostics
- Eliminates thermal compatibility issues with third party drives; Use virtually any SATA drive!
- Ideal for iMac owners and service providers
- OWC Install Videos guide you every step of the way
- Backed by OWC’s award-winning customer support
The Problem: Custom Drive Firmware
With the introduction of the iMac, Apple’s factory-installed drives contained custom firmware that communicated thermal data to the System Management Controller (SMC). Off-the-shelf hard drives do not include the custom firmware, and as a result, SMC is unable to monitor the temperature of the hard drive and the iMac fans will run at full speed and fail Apple diagnostics as a failsafe.
Despite various “hacks”, the best solution is to still use Apple’s SMC to ensure proper monitoring of drive and system health.
The Proven Solution: OWC Hard Drive DIY Kit
With easy step-by-step videos and installation tools, the OWC Hard Drive DIY Kit includes a custom-designed digital thermal sensor that connects virtually any 3.5” SATA drive to the iMac. The thermal module communicates drive temperature data to the SMC, enabling proper system fan control.
This innovative plug-and-play device requires no software hacks and is also fully compatible with Apple diagnostic testing, allowing all 2009 and newer iMac owners to retain proper cooling and pass the Apple Hardware Test when installing a replacement drive.
“The Hard Drive DIY Kits for 2009 and newer iMacs represent our commitment to DIY enthusiasts and upgraders,” said Larry O’Connor, Founder and CEO, OWC. “It’s an unfortunate fact that all hard drives will eventually fail, but this innovative kit from OWC represents the best complete, proven solution for replacing and upgrading with more capacity while retaining proper system operation.”
- OWC In-Line Digital Thermal Sensor Cable and Fan Control assembly for iMac
- NewerTech 14-piece Toolkit
- OWC Microfiber Cloth
- 2 NewerTech Suction Cups
- Quick Start Guide
- iMac 2009 – 2010 (21.5″ & 27″)
- iMac 2011 (21.5″ & 27″)
- iMac 2012 – Present (27″)
OWC’s In-Line Digital Thermal Sensor HDD DIY Kit is available for immediate ordering. Bringing it to a professional installer or already have your own tools? All kits are also available without installation tools for $39.75.