When you use Voice Memos in macOS Ventura, you can use an option to automatically reduce background noise and echo with a single click, which is useful when you’re recording lectures or meetings. You can also fast forward through long pauses.
How to make a recording
To create a recording, use the built-in microphone, a supported headset, or an external mic. You can listen to your Voice Memos recordings on any device you’re signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID.
- Launch Voice Memos.
- Click the red Record button.
- To pause, click the red Pause button.
- To continue, click Resume.
- When you’re finished, click Done in the lower-right corner.
Your recording is saved with the name of your location (if “Location-based Naming” is selected in preferences) or with the name “New Recording” if it’s not. Note that in the graphic above, my recording is named “2270 Luster Road,” which is my street address.To overwrite existing audio, select the recording in the sidebar.
To edit a recording
- Select the recording.
- Click the Edit button in the upper-right corner to open the recording in the Edit window.
- If you have a trackpad or a Magic Mouse, click or tap with two fingers on the recording in the sidebar, then choose Edit Recording.
- Drag the blue vertical line (Playhead) in the waveform overview left or right.
- If you have a trackpad or a Magic Mouse, you can also swipe left or right with two fingers in the waveform detail to position the Playhead.
- Click the Replace button, then record the new audio.
- Click the Pause button to stop recording. Click Replace or Resume to continue recording.
- Click Done to save the recording.
To trim a voice memo
- To trim a recording, select your recording in the sidebar.
- Click the Edit button once. Its icon will change to the Trim icon.
- Select Trim.
- Drag the yellow trim handles to set the range to trim.
Do one of the following:
- Click Trim to remove the recording outside the trim handles.
- Click Delete to remove the recording between the trim handles.
Click Save to save the change, then click Done.
Enhance a recording
To reduce background noise and reverberation, use the Enhance option.
- Select your recording and click the Edit button.
- Under the Edit option in the menu bar, click Enhance.
- To listen to the enhanced audio, click the Play button.
- Click Done.
Name your recording
By default, the name of a recording will be based on your location. However, you can rename it.
- Select the recording in the sidebar
- Click File > Rename.
- Enter a new name, then press Return
How to fast forward through long pauses
You can fast forward through long pauses in Voice Memos by enabling Skip Silence in the app’s Edit menu.